MUSIC MACHINE [1977]

Music Machine, a Christmas 1977 under the tree present, is one of HERC's favorite K-Tel albums.  Some people go crazy because Robbie The Robot is on both the front and back covers as well as in the commercial.  



Others say the two bonus posters that were included were deal-sealers but for HERC, the music was and is all that matters.  He credits Santa's vast intelligence network for knowing that he already had a third of the songs on Music Machine as 45s, making it a perfect match for young HERC.



Music Machine could very well end up being the new #1 on the K-Tel Scale list based on all the songs being (as advertised) Top 10 Hits and at least half of them Number One hits in their own right.  Here's the K-Tel Scale scorecard for Music Machine:

Music Machine [1977]
K-tel Scale:
37.63
Billboard Top 40s
PopR&BDISCOACCBWLS
I Just Want To Be Your EverythingAndy Gibb119811
Keep It Comin’ LoveKC & the Sunshine Band2193622
Don't Give Up On UsDavid Soul1112
Do You Wanna Make LovePeter McCann52294
Hot LineSylvers5341
Got To Give It UpMarvin Gaye111120
You Don’t Have To Be A StarMarilyn McCoo & Billy Davis, Jr.11616
Play That Funky MusicWild Cherry111212
Gonna Fly NowBill Conti12011
Dancing QueenABBA1611
BethKiss71473
Blinded By The LightManfred Mann's Earth Band111
Car WashRose Royce11313
LucilleKenny Rogers5110611
I Like Dreamin’Kenny Nolan3437
Goodbye Yellow Brick RoadElton John2711
You And MeAlice Cooper923810
Feels Like The First TimeForeigner453

Looks like HERC's instincts were on point as Music Machine becomes the reigning Number One on the K-Tel Scale Scoreboard.  With nine Billboard Pop #1's and ten Cash Box Pop #1's as well as other #1's, only six songs on the album failed to hit the top spot on the tracked charts.


Peter McCann's original hit version of "Do You Wanna Make Love" 
is currently unavailble on Spotify


Thanks to Todd over at the abandonded Neato Coolville site and Bruce over at the Vinyl Voyage site for their inspiration and contributions.

6 comments:

  1. I have this album with the posters - I love it. One of my favorites to play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember getting kinda messed up one time and trying to play the POSTERS. Couldn't find the little hole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dam, i remember the commercials for this album, is there a list of K-tel albums

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have two milk crates full of vintage K-tels, and have recreated about 50 of them on my iPod (with the full-length hits, of course). The vinyl includes Canadian, UK, and even European issues of various artists collections, but also K-tel "hits" albums by Barry Manilow, Donny Osmond, Moody Blues, Dusty Springfield, Queen, Spinners, and Elvis, to name but a few.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was the first album I ever bought. I got it in 1977 when I was about 15 years old. I really loved that album. My favorite songs were "Beth", "Dancing Queen", and "Blinded by the Light". I really wish I still had that album.

    ReplyDelete