CHART ACTION '83 [1983]

If you've been reading along since before the very first post here at the K-Tel Kollection, when I was digitally recreating and writing up classic K-Tel albums over on The Hideaway prior to setting up this site, you may not have known there was a master plan but there was; when I mapped it out and drew it up originally, Chart Action '83 was going to be the last post.
Why? Because it was the last K-Tel album I ever bought at the time of its release and it felt like a good place to end things. But I've purchased maybe thirty older K-Tel comps since then and have been fortunate enough to receive close to a dozen more as donations. Which is all a long way of saying I still have more K-Tel records to write about and rate but today we're gathered here in wide-eared wonder for Chart Action '83, one of My Most Favorite K-Tel Albums Ever!
It's not a perfect package, though, don't get me wrong. I like almost all of the songs though the Bryan Adams track has some sad baggage attached, the Thompson Twins track feels out of place among the others and the Pat Benatar track is probably my least favorite of her songs. If you ever want to stump me in a game of Name That Tune, go with "Little Too Late" and I'll lose every damn time - I just don't associate the opening drums with the rest of the song. I was thinking that maybe they were cut from the radio single version and I had ignored the album version but they were not cut and I hadn't ignored the album cut. I merely skipped it and the rest of the songs after the first three cuts on the Get Nervous album but I did not ignore it. As for the rest of Chart Action '83, it's a solid listen. I've spent much of the day listening to it in a playlist with its Canadian cousin and have enjoyed it quite a bit. Didn't make me nostalgic or anything, the compilation just a great collection of some of my favorite songs especially coupled with the dozen different tracks from Canada's Chart Action but I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's see how Chart Action '83 fares on ye olde K-Tel Scale. I know there's a few Number One hits to be had so I'm gonna peg this one at least a 30 on the Scale.

CHART ACTION '83 [1983]
30.54
Billboard Top 40s
PopR&BDISCORockACCB
Every Breath You TakeThe Police126151
Come On EileenDexy's Midnight Runners16311
Straight From The HeartBryan Adams10322918
Sexual HealingMarvin Gaye3112345
Twilight ZoneGolden Earring10116
LiesThompson Twins30131
Don't Fight ItKenny Loggins and Steve Perry17415
Affair Of The HeartRick Springfield92310
JeopardyGreg Kihn Band2155
Der KommissarAfter The Fire51745
I Know There's Something Going OnFrida131714
Little Too LatePat Benatar2038(41)
Shock The MonkeyPeter Gabriel2926133
Goody Two ShoesAdam Ant12712
Only two Number Ones on the Pop chart but also a pair of 'em each on Disco/Dance and Cashbox charts. Add in three Number Ones on the Rock chart and a lone chart-topper on the R&B chart, as well as all the crossover action on the Rock and Dance charts and you get a better than average score of 30.54 for Chart Action '83.
Chart Action '83 is also available on cassette with the slight difference of having "Don't Fight It" and "Goody Two Shoes" swap places in the running order. Neither the cassette nor the vinyl should be considered rare or in high demand unless they are in pristine condition. There appears to be no 8-track format released.
In Canada, the album was released simply as Chart Action and has sixteen tracks including four in common with its American relative. It's actually an uncharacteristically strong tracklist for a Canadian K-Tel album and may possibly contain even more Number Ones than Chart Action '83. Let's see how it does on the K-Tel Scale.

CHART ACTION [1983]
34.84
Billboard Top 40s
PopR&BDISCORockACCB
GloriaLaura Branigan24281
You Can't Hurry LovePhil Collins1024910
Down UnderMen At Work11131
AfricaToto153
Goody Two ShoesAdam Ant12712
Don't You Want MeHuman League1341
MickeyToni Basil132
Come On EileenDexy's Midnight Runners16311
AllentownBilly Joel17281914
Sexual HealingMarvin Gaye3112345
Missing YouDan Fogelberg2330623
Heart To HeartKenny Loggins15315
TrulyLionel Richie1211
Breaking Us In TwoJoe Jackson18817
Twilight ZoneGolden Earring10116
Do You Really Want To Hurt MeCulture Club239342181
Are you kidding me with SIX Pop Number Ones? Only five tracks outside the Top 10? See what I mean when I said I was really enjoying listening to this album in conjunction with Chart Action '83 all day? Hopefully, you have Gabriel's "Shock The Monkey" in your Local Files because he does not let Spotify stream his albums. Here's the combined CAN-AM playlist for both albums so you listen for nearly two hours:
Or if you'd rather hear a pure needle-drop recording of the album, check out my friend Brandon's YouTube video below:


Thanks to all the viewers who stuck with us through 2016 even though we only featured nine albums from The Kollection. We shall return sometime in 2017.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Herc,

    Great blog - that K-Tel album is one of the few foreign (non-UK) ones I own. Star Traks from 1980 was the first one I encountered although my uncle recently told me that he bought Music Machine back in 1977 (he's lived in the US since 1968). I have linked your blog on my blogroll - check out mine - www.apopfansdream.wordpress.com , lots of reviews of UK compilations (including K-Tel and Ronco). All the best, Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for chiming in, Paul. Always a thrill to hear from a fellow K-Tel/Ronco fan.

      Fairly certain, I've referenced your wonderful and admired site in one or more of my Now That's What I Call Music! features over on The Hideaway. If I haven't, I have most certainly referenced it as I have it bookmarked. Keep doing what you're doing, Sir.

      Delete
  2. FYI, I have the 8-track for this compilation; US release TU-2938.

    ReplyDelete